Urban Venus

For all Suburban Goddesses a newsletter that has it all, written by someone with barely a clue but who is really enthusiastic!

Thursday, September 21, 2006

GODDESS IN THE MIRROR

There are a million things in this world that say very loudly that we are unhappy with the way we are. And the huge majority of them are made for women. We, by using them agree. You don't like your hair colour? Dye it, perm it, straighten it, spray it, control it. You don't like your skin? OK, we can bleach it, shave it, tan it, fake tan it, operate on it, put cosmetics on it, inject it, hide it.
There are a billion products out there to hide the original you. And they all suggest that the original you is not good enough. Many of us have fragile egos and we end up agreeing that by adding this or using this we may look better, more regular or better than. But by whose standards are we measuring ourselves? Large corporations and marketing firms who prey on our insecurities.
Flowers come in a million varieties, yet each is uniquely beautiful and perfect. Why should we see ourselves any differently?
It is no cliche' to say that love makes a woman beautiful. This starts with yourself. And good health is an example of self love making us beautiful.
As for what you see on the mirror, start with a smile and celebrate freckles, moles, frizzy hair; in fact anything not on a barbie doll, as your authentic, original, impossible to duplicate, beautiful and perfect self. And as they say, anyone who tells you otherwise is either jealous or trying to sell you something.

OFF THE SOAP BOX
I recently got all of my hair cut off. Number four on the clippers. I had my reasons (and it wasn't nits!) but it was something I'd always wanted to do but lacked the guts. Well finally I did it. I admit to a little hat hiding for the first two weeks. I had to listen to quite a few "Oh my God's" and "What happened to your hair" but then I got some admiring comments from people and I got used to it. Then I remembered I had to go to work! I work on-call in Pharmacy and at first, serving customers, I realised everyone was looking at my hair and I thought "OK, you can't hide it, so go with it." So I doubled my smile and had a great shift. Now maybe they thought I was going through chemo, but everyone was lovely that night!
Aside from children saying I looked like a boy, the biggest thing I notied was people asking me what my children thought about it or my husband. I did notice with dismay that my husband found it less becoming. Shouldn't be surprised you say? Well, he cut it for me!
At the end of the day, it's incredibly freeing and easy having hair this short.It's got me holding my chin up higher than I did before and I'm really proud of myself for doing it. But it does make you realise that women are still percieved by tradtional ideals and old-fashioned judgement. I recommend the experience to anyone who has ever toyed with the idea of doing it. Go on, get those clippers out! Dare ya!

2 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger t-da said...

agree, I was totally amazed at how freeing it was having my husband but all my hair of, I had a real glimpse of the real me, this was really unexpected too, finally feeling like me!

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Kristen Doran said...

I'm really sorry about the nits comment. Forgive me?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home